By Mary Hoerner, Jeffrey Strean, Leslie Cade
The Cleveland Museum of Art opened to the public in 1916. In front of the majestic marble structure, however, was a neglected parcel of land with a small lake owned by the City of Cleveland. In the 1920s the Garden Club of Cleveland took on the job of transforming this blighted plot into the Fine Arts Garden, a beautiful place everyone could enjoy. Mary Hoerner delves into the history of the Fine Arts Garden, and Jeffrey Strean and Leslie Cade discuss past and present developments of the museum’s grounds as well as plans for the future. This lavishly illustrated and beautifully designed book presents a new aspect of the history of a distinguished institution.